vSphere Replication + NVMe Controller = Not Supported

When you create a new virtual machine, sometimes we don't pay too much attention on the details. I created a virtual machine with the specification of Windows Server 2016 as a guest operating system. After it was created and powered on, I went ahead to to SRM and configure replication for this virtual machine. I was puzzled it always failed to create the replication and gotten this error message.

After troubleshooting, rebooting every management components in the environment, out of curiosity, I decided to create a Windows Server 2012 virtual machine and create the replication. It works! I was able to replicate it.

I compared Windows Server 2012 with Windows Server 2016 virtual machine's specification. I noticed the Storage Controller for Windows Server 2012 was defaulted to LSI Logic controller and Windows Server 2016 was defaulted to NVMe controller.

I went to vSphere Replication Release Note and read if there is any issue with NVMe. It did mentioned it is not supported.

I changed the Windows Server 2016 virtual machine's controller from NVMe to LSI Logic controller and I was able to create the replication.

Please watch out whenever you create a new virtual machine in your production environment and only you will found out later on you cannot configure your virtual machine for replication.

Comments

Post a Comment